Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Continuation of Backpacking...

Justin and I near Bannister Ruin





Here was our first camping spot just below Junction Ruin. I was in heaven! I opened the tent in the morning and the first thing I saw was the ruin on the cliff in front of me (to the right and up from this pic)






There were lots of really well-preserved handprints at Junction Ruin, this is one of them. Handprints are my favorite form of art from these ancient people. There is something so real, so human about seeing another humans hand, not so different from yours or mine, on the wall. It reminds me that these are not just ruins, they were homes and communities.















On the left is a granary at Turkey Pin ruin, which you often see, but what you don't often see is the granary door, picutred here, that were specially cut to seal up grain to keep it fresh. This was Anasazi Gladware! On the right is Justin checking out the insides of the ruin.



Two-story Ruin



Camp in Sheik's Canyon on second night.














A small portion of a large rock art pannel near camp in Sheik's. On the right are the cool dudes a little closer up.

Jailhouse Ruin

Check out the two white circles above the ruin--in real life those are creepy face-like pictographs that seem to look at you as you enter Bullet Canyon to see this ruin.


Why Jailhouse Ruin is called Jailhouse Ruin








This is mitten (said midden) which is essentially an Anasazi trash dump that was found below each of the ruins. Basically they would throw broken pots and food (like corn cobs and lentils) out to the city dump which was usually 100 yards or less from their house. Coolest trash I've ever seen!







Me geeking out going into a perfectly preserved kiva, aptly named, perfect kiva. They just aren't making 800 year old kivas anymore, it was one of the cooler things I have ever seen.



Justin chillin' in the kiva











Art and life imitating art.




It's springtime in the desert! It was so fantastic to see the softer side of these prickly cacti.

Jen getting doctored in the morning due to her many, many, many blisters (she seriously never complained).


From day one we were filtering our water. These rain pools were heaven sent in the ease we could filter them; best water on the trip!


The crew on the last day. It was a great time gettinng into the wilderness and playing. Stay tuned for our backpacking trip to the Narrows in July and the Uintas in August.

4 comments:

Brynn said...

Proof! You are alive and having fun, not just stuck at school. I am glad ;) Those are awesome pictures, I wish I were more outdoorsy.

Deirdra said...

I am really soooo.........happy that you have joined the blogging world. Give it a week and you'll be totally addicted. I'm excited to have a sneak peek into the life of Evie and Justini. I look forward to staying tuned. Awesome backpacking pics by the way!

Jessica said...

I had no idea you were into ancient ruins so much. Very cool. I remember being dragged on several ancient ruin treks as a child.

Joan said...

I love your blog! Thank you for inviting us to view it. I love your pic of the hand. Reminded me of Hundred Hands by Calf Creek.