Friday, June 27, 2008

Women Protecting Wilderness


I am passionate about the wild lands of Utah; they are my solace and my spiritual refuge. When I discovered them is when I began to discover myself. Because they have done so much for me I take their protection very seriously. That is why I have been searching for a way to help preserve and protect these places that cannot protect themselves but nothing seemed like a good fit until I went to a meeting of Women Protecting Wilderness at the end of May. Here is a group that is just getting started and so the contributions I make to it matter. I am at the ground level so I am getting to help with the overarching vision of the organization. We want to be a group that all women (and men are invited too) who love to be in the wild can feel comfortable joining. It is only when we get women from all ways and walks of life that we can really start to make long-term differences in the way these lands are cared for.
The first event we are planning will be a press conference that will be turning into a traveling art show that you can be a part of! We are getting favorite pictures of women out in the wild, of their children in the wild and/or just their pictures of the wild along with a short (approx 50 words or less) essay/poem/statement of why they love the wild. We will collect all of these for the next couple of months then in September we will display them all together in an art show. It should be a really powerful demonstration of how different women flock to different wilderness areas for different reasons. If you are interested in being part of this show (and I really think you should be) please let me know. Please let your friends and family know as well; everyone is welcome to contribute. I will be sending out an e-mail of a few examples and some more specifics in a couple weeks but I wanted to give you a heads up!
Here is our Women Protecting Wilderness temporary website. It is under the SUWA (Southern Utah Wilderness Society) website right now but we will soon be breaking off and creating our own independent voice and website. This is a moderate voice of wilderness protection, I hope you will looking into it, create a piece for our art show and even consider joining us. There is much more to come!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Fantastic! Eve you are awesome. I would love to contribute a picture and essay. Let me know more about it.

Danielle said...

that sounds great! We really do need to get another Zions trip together! It was some of the funnest time I can remember!

Vudochki said...

Miss EVE! So, I decided to be a "Stalker blogger" today and found you! (It's Jessica Bastian) I'm so glad because the other day I was going through pictures and found all those awesome engagement pictures you took for me and wanted to THANK YOU! I still love them! Anyway, I read your blog and I am TOTALLY interested! We moved to MA and it has totally changed me into going green and protecting the environment. I am even RECYCLING! AMAZING! So, this is great! I was wondering though, do you have to live in Utah to participate? Let me know PLEASE! Miss you. Holy cow! It's been 5 years! Anyway, here's my blog address: www.mckenziewood.blogspot.com or www.woodfamilyonline.net either will get you to the right place!
Love ya! Jessica