Monday, June 30, 2008

Nine Mile and Range Creek

I had the great opportunity to go with Jen and Donna (Jen's Mom) on a guided tour of Range Creek and Nine Mile Canyon. Range Creek is an archaeologically rich area outside of Price, UT. It had been owned by the Wilcox family and a couple other people from homesteading days. Waldo Wilcox was aware of many of the Anasazi sites, including granaries, pit houses and rock art panels but did not make this knowledge known until 2001. It is unique because these sites are so new in the process of being explored. They are not as in your face amazing as Grand Gulch but incredible in the density of civilization and their paranoia.
Nine Mile is the most densely covered rock art area in Northern America. It is astounding to see so much communication from a different time. No one knows what these various panels mean (and anyone who claims they do are lying) but you cannot help but make up hypotheses while there. The man who led us through has been studying this area for decades and says he has yet to find all the reported rock art.
Below I have posted a sampling of the pictographs and petrogylphs we saw plus a sampling of pictures from Range Creek.


1 comment:

Malia said...

Hey Eve! I should probably be embarrassed to admit that I am SUCH a blog stalker...but it's true. I was thrilled to see you have one. I have missed you and think of you a lot (I'm not just saying that - I'm serious). I hope you're doing well.